- The Election In Israel: May the Best Man Win
- NEW RIGHT HEAD BENNETT VOWS TO SERVE UNDER GANTZ, GIVE UP ‘ONE INCH’ OF LAND
- Speaking at an English-language ToI event ahead of elections, the minister says he wants to ‘fix’ Netanyahu’s Gaza policy by taking a ‘lawnmower’ approach to munitions in the Strip
- By Yaakov Schwartz – March 28, 2019 – Image: Education and Diaspora Affairs Minister Naftali Bennett, left, speaks with The Times of Israel’s Jewish World editor Amanda Borschel-Dan at an English-language event, March 27, 2019. (Yaakov Schwartz/ Times of Israel)
- Education and Diaspora Affairs Minister Naftali Bennett emphatically ruled out joining a government led by Blue and White party head Benny Gantz if the latter swept to victory in the upcoming elections. Bennett, the co-leader of the freshman New Right party, spoke to The Times of Israel’s Jewish World editor, Amanda Borschel-Dan, at a packed English-language event in Tel Aviv on Wednesday evening. “I would under no circumstances recommend Benny Gantz [to form a new government as prime minister],” Bennett said. “He’s left and I’m right. And I want to promote what I believe.” Cont’d:
- VOTING UNDER FIRE
- It’s (almost) impossible to delay elections because of war
By Raoul Wootliff By Raoul Wootliff
25 March 2019
Calls from across the political spectrum for a harsh response to the latest rocket fire from Gaza could pose a real chance of an unwanted ‘khaki election’
- Image: IDF soldiers vote in elections for Israel’s 18th Knesset at a West Bank checkpoint near Bethlehem, February 9, 2009. (Nati Shohat/Flash 90)
- Coming just two weeks before the April 9 election, the multitude of calls from across the political spectrum for a harsh response to Monday morning’s rocket fire from Gaza echoed similar demands made by politicians in the run-up to both the 2009 and 2013 national ballots. Weeks before both those elections, an escalation in rocket fire from the Strip, and possibly the appeals for a strong retaliation, spurred Israel’s government to launch major military operations targeting the Hamas terror group which controls the territory. The Cast Lead and Pillar of Defense operations (or the 2008-9 Gaza War and 2012 Gaza War), as they became known, were met with calls to postpone the nationwide vote for fear that fighting would continue past election day. Cont’d:
- ABBAS APPOINTS NEW PRIME MINISTER, ‘GOV’T SHOULD ENHANCE CULTURE OF PEACE’
- Hamas: “We won’t recognize new Fatah-led gov’t.”
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on Sunday asked senior Fatah official Mohammed Shtayyeh to form a new government that would “enhance the culture of peace and support the families of prisoners and martyrs.”
Shtayyeh will replace PA Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah, who resigned last January.
By Khaled Abu Toameh – March 10, 2019 – Jerusalem Postb
Senior Fatah official Mohammad Shtayyeh receives a designation letter from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to form a new Palestinian government, in Ramallah.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on Sunday asked senior Fatah official Mohammed Shtayyeh to form a new government that would “enhance the culture of peace and support the families of prisoners and martyrs.”
Shtayyeh will replace PA Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah, who resigned last January.
Hamas immediately rejected Abbas’s decision to form a new “separatist” government, and said the move would solidify the split between the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Hamas said that it will not recognize the new government.
Shtayyeh, 61, is a politician and economic expert from a village near Nablus. He previously served as PA minister of housing and head of the Palestinian Economic Council for Development and Reconstruction. Shtayyeh, who is also a member of the Fatah Central Committee, holds a doctorate in economic development from the University of Sussex in the UK. In the letter of appointment, Abbas wrote to Shtayyeh that the new government’s top priority should be “to support the decisions of the Palestinian leadership, which include restoring national unity and bringing Gaza back to the bosom of national legitimacy.” Cont’d:
POLL: DEMOCRATS ARE NO LONGER FRIENDS OF ISRAEL
- By JOL Staff – March 11, 2019 – Support for Israel among US Democrats is dropping sharply, and the party once preferred by American Jews is quickly losing their support. According to a Pew Research survey, currently, 79% of Republicans say they sympathize more with Israel than with the Palestinians, compared with just 27% of Democrats. Since 2001, the number of Republicans siding with Israel over the Palestinians has increased 29 percentage points, from 50% to 79%. Over the same period, the share of Democrats saying they sympathize with Israel has declined 11 points, from 38% to 27%.
- The partisan divide has widened considerably, especially over the past two decades. The share of Republicans who sympathize with Israel has never been higher, dating back four decades. Nearly eight-in-ten Republicans (79%) sympathize more with Israel than with the Palestinians, while just 6% sympathize more with the Palestinians. Democrats are more divided in their views on the Middle East conflict: Currently, 27% of Democrats say they sympathize more with Israel, while 25% say they sympathize more with the Palestinians. Democrats also were divided last year, when 33% said they sympathized with Israel and 31% said the Palestinians. Cont’d: https://www.jerusalemonline.com/poll-democrats-are-no-longer-friends-of-israel/
BIBI 5 SEATS BEHIND
- By JOL Staff – March 11, 2019 – The latest poll commissioned by the daily Yediot Aharonot and conducted by the Midgam Institute, led by Mina Tzemach and Mano Geva, reveals that the Blue and White party of former Chief of Staff Benny Gantz continues to lead with 33 seats. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud is on his heels with 29 seats.
General elections are scheduled for April 9.
- The Labor Party comes in third place with ten seats. The rest of the parties show no major changes in the number of seats compared to the latest polls. The Ashkenzai Utraorthodox party Yahadut Hatorah (United Torah Judaism) 7, the alliance of Arab parties Hadash-Taal 7, the Sephardic Utraorthodox party Shas 6, Union of Right Parties 6, Meretz 5, New Right 5, Israel Beitenu 4 and Kulanu 4. Cont’d: https://www.jerusalemonline.com/poll-bibi-5-seats-behind/
- JORDAN’S KING ABDULLAH II MEETS WITH U.S. PEACE TEAM TO DISCUSS ITS PLAN
- The 45-minute meeting took place at the Jordanian ambassador’s residence and briefly touched on the administration’s upcoming effort to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. By Michael Wilner – March 11, 2019 – Jerusalem Postb – Jordan’s King Abdullah II meets with U.S. peace team to discuss its plan The 45-minute meeting took place at the Jordanian ambassador’s residence and briefly touched on the administration’s upcoming effort to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Jordanian King Abdullah II (R) meeting with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
LONDON – US President Donald Trump’s Middle East peace team met with Jordan’s King Abdullah II on Monday in Washington. The 45-minute meeting took place at the Jordanian ambassador’s residence and briefly touched on the administration’s upcoming effort to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the officials said. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, US special representative for international negotiations Jason Greenblatt and the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, all attended the meeting. Cont’d: https://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Abdullah-meets-with-US-peace-team-to-discuss-its-plan-583124
- GLOBAL TV EXECUTIVES DESCEND ON JERUSALEM
- Officials from Netflix, Amazon, CBS and more discuss what they look for in international content – and from Israeli creators
- By Amy Spiro – March 11, 2019 – Television executives from around the world arrived in Jerusalem on Monday for the kickoff of the annual Keshet INTV conference. Top-level decision makers from Netflix, CNN, CBS, Amazon Studios and more took part in interviews and panel discussions during the first day of the sixth annual conference at the YMCA in the capital. Cont’d:
- PALESTINIAN LEADERSHIP ROOTING FOR BENNY GANTZ DUE TO ‘POLITICAL INEXPERIENCE’
- March 11, 2019 Image: Benny Gantz gives a statement to the media in Tel Aviv, February 28, 2019. (Flash90) A senior official reportedly said the PA hopes to “exploit the lack of political experience of Gantz and most of his people.”
- By World Israel News Staff – A senior official in the office of Palestinian Authority (PA) leader Mahmoud Abbas says that Palestinian leaders have voiced their preference for Blue and White party leader Benny Gantz as Israel’s next prime minister over incumbent Benjamin Netanyahu.
- The official acknowledged that the PA’s formal position is not to get involved in Israel’s internal affairs, but adds, that, in fact, “the Palestinian leadership prefers Gantz and the Blue and White list at the head of the government,” reports daily newspaper Israel Hayom. The paper reports that another senior PA official confirmed that a top level consultation at PA headquarters in Ramallah, in which Abbas participated, drew “the clear conclusion” that Gantz and MK Yair Lapid, whose Yesh Atid party is running together with him, is preferable to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the helm. Cont’d:
- JERUSALEM WILL BE DIVIDED IN TRUMP PLAN, REPORT SAYS
- March 11, 2019 Image: Jews visiting the Temple Mount. (Sebi Berens/Flash90)
The U.S. plan “in essence, divides Jerusalem and changes its borders,” Israel Hayom reports.
- By World Israel News Staff
- Another report has emerged on the details of U.S. President Donald Trump’s Israeli-Palestinian peace plan. American officials have said that the plan will be made public right after next month’s Knesset election. At the center of the report by Nadav Shragai, published in Israel Hayom, is the status of Jerusalem under the terms of the U.S. plan. When Trump recognized Jerusalem as Israel’s capital in 2017, he stated that his declaration did not relate to what the final boundaries of the city would be. Indeed, his peace plan “in essence, divides Jerusalem and changes its borders,” says the report, although no source is mentioned. Shragai reports that “portions and ideas” from the plan have already been presented to Israel, the Palestinians, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Egypt. Cont’d: https://worldisraelnews.com/report-trump-plan-divides-jerusalem-but-keeps-old-city-in-israel
- SAUDIS, EGYPT, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES OPENLY CALL TO ISOLATE ISRAEL
March 13, 2019 – Image: Chairman of the Shura Council of Saudi Arabia Abdullah bin Mohammed bin Ibrahim Al-Sheikh. (Balazs Mohai/MTI via AP) Three Arab nations pushed back against a clause demanding an end to “normalization” with Israel that was proposed at the Arab Inter-Parliamentary Union this month.
By The Tower Staff – The United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt rejected on March 4 a clause in a statement by the Arab Inter-Parliamentary Union (APU), that called for a stop to normalization with Israel, laying bare a growing divide between Arab governments and individual parliamentarians in their approach to the Jewish State. The speaker of the Kuwaiti National Assembly, Marzouq Al-Ghanim, had urged the group to include in its final statement at the 29th Conference of the APU, which kicked off on March 2 in the Jordanian capital Amman, a clause that rejects normalization between Israel and the Arab world. Al-Ghanim slammed rapprochement with Israel as a “political taboo” and emphasized that Arab states must stand united against “our enemy [Israel]” in support of the Palestinians. Cont’d:
- WITH SOME OF RABIN’S AWKWARD CHARISMA GANTZ PASSES THE AIPAC TEST
- The would-be prime minister is no match for the polished, articulate Netanyahu, but his speech hit the right notes, and the pro-Israel lobby responded with enthusiasm – Image: Benny Gantz addresses AIPAC’s policy conference in Washington DC, March 25, 2019 (AIPAC screenshot)
- WASHINGTON, DC — Making his debut AIPAC appearance on Monday morning, would-be prime minister Benny Gantz looked stiff and a little hesitant at first. Battle-hardened military chiefs presumably don’t get overly nervous, but when addressing a cavernous hall holding 18,000 listeners preparing to judge your nascent political career, and doing so in a foreign language, some unease is understandable.
- Moreover, Israel’s constantly challenging reality had complicated Gantz’s big moment. The man he would succeed, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, had just canceled his AIPAC appearance, scheduled for Tuesday, and announced that he would be heading home straight after meeting with US President Donald Trump at the White House later Monday, in order to steward the response to the latest rocket fire from Gaza, which caused injury, shock and no little devastation in central Israel. Cont’d:
- KING ABDULLAH HEADS TO WASHINGTON AMID TEMPLE MOUNT CRISIS
- By SETH J. By FRANTZMAN,TOVAH LAZAROFF – March 10, 2019
The Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court is expected to allow the police to close the building again, unless the Wakf submits a written response to the court on the matter on Sunday. Jordan’s King Abdullah II left Amman for Washington on Saturday to speak with members of Congress about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, including the crisis over the Golden Gate on Temple Mount.
- In talks on Thursday, Israeli and Jordanian officials failed to resolve what began on February 22, when Jerusalem’s Wakf Islamic religious trust unilaterally opened a building near the Golden Gate that Israel had closed in 2003. In response, Israel arrested a senior Wakf official two days later. The Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court is expected to allow the police to close the building again, unless the Wakf submits a written response to the court on Sunday. Palestinian officials called on Muslim worshipers to head to the Temple Mount on Friday to protest the court’s intention to allow the police to close the building near what Jews call the Gate of Mercy and Muslims call Bab al-Rahma. By noon on Friday, thousands had gathered. The Israel Police deployed mounted units and riot police to the Damascus Gate, along with the elite Yasam Special Patrol Unit, to confront any rioters.
- ABBA’S MEETS WITH FAR LEFT ISRAEL POLITICAL PARTY
- By Pinhas Inbari – March 11, 2019 – Image: Meretz President Tamar Zandberg & PA President Mahmoud Abbas
Palestinian Authority (PA) President Mahmoud Abbas has criticized the Government of Israel for withholding part of the funds from customs fees and other taxes it collects on behalf of the Palestinian Authority because of Ramallah’s policy of paying salaries and stipends to the terrorists imprisoned in Israel and to the relatives of the dead terrorists.
Abbas made the remarks during a meeting with Meretz president Tamar Zandberg and other leaders of the leftist party at the PA headquarters in Ramallah. “We tell the Israeli government that it has no right to deduct our funds against our will,” Abbas said. The Political and Security Cabinet decided in February to approve the gradual retention of 502,697,000 million shekels (138 million dollars) of the Palestinian Authority’s fiscal revenues during the next year. This body made the decision to begin implementing a new law that allows Israel to withhold taxes from the Palestinians for payments made to Palestinian terrorists imprisoned in Israel and to the families of the dead terrorists. Israel collects customs duties and other taxes every month on behalf of Ramallah, and transfers them to the Palestinian Authority coffers. But outgoing prime minister of the PA, Rami Hamdallah, announced in late February that the Jewish state retained last month 41,800,000 shekels (11,516,000 dollars) of taxes transferred to the Palestinians. Cont’d: https://www.jerusalemonline.com/abbas-meets-with-far-left-israel-political-party/
- CHABAD LUBAWITCH NWO MOVEMENT EXAMINED
- The seven commandments came up but no discussion. Those are the Noahide Laws.
Shaking My Head Productions Mar 11, 2019 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7az4DtHUxk
- PRIME MINISTER BENJAMIN NETANYAHU SPEAKS AT A SIGNING CEREMONY FOR AN AGREEMENT TO BUILD NEW APARTMENTS IN JERUSALEM
- March 11, 2019 – https://www.timesofisrael.com/gantz-were-willing-to-sit-in-government-with-anyone-jewish-and-zionist/
CONFLICTING REPORTS SUGGEST ISRAEL CAPITULATED, CEDING TEMPLE MOUNT TO PALISTINIANS
By Adam Eliyahu Berkowitz – March 11, 2019 – Image: Palestinians take part in Friday prayers outside the Golden Gate at the Al Aqsa compound in Jerusalem’s Old City. (Credit: Sliman Khader/Flash90)
- Only the prince may sit in it and eat bread before Hashem, since he is a prince; he shall enter by way of the vestibule of the gate, and shall depart by the same way.” Ezekiel 44:3 (The Israel Bible™)
Two weeks ago, Palestinians rioted on the Temple Mount, breaking into an area adjacent to Sha’ar HaRachamim (Gate of Mercy, also known as the Golden Gate) in the Temple Mount compound. The site was locked 16 years ago by court order after it was used as a meeting place for a Hamas-affiliated organization. The Israeli police have allowed Muslim prayers at the site and have thus far avoided confrontations. The Waqf (Muslim authority) requested permission from the Israeli police to bring in materials to convert the site to a Mosque and their request has not been rejected. The police issued restraining orders against Waqf guards and Palestinian activists, including the Waqf’s head, Sheikh Abdel-Azeem Salhab, to prevent them from reaching the site. An Israeli delegation traveled to Jordan last Thursday to discuss a solution with the government. After the 1967 Six-Day War, Israel handed administration of the site back to the Waqf (Muslim authority) under Jordanian custodianship, while maintaining Israeli security control. At the time, there was one Mosque on the Temple Mount but three more have been established since then without Israeli permission. Cont’d: https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/124095/jordanian-king-temple-mount-conflict/
- GANTZ SAYS MENACHEM BEGIN WOULD HAVE KICKED NETANYAHU OUT OF LIKUD
- Blue and White leader says iconic ex-PM would not have tolerated ‘regime of divisiveness’ and ‘false’ campaign rhetoric
By Tamar Pileggi – 11 March 2019 – Image: Retired Israeli army general Benny Gantz, one of the leaders of the Blue and White political alliance, addresses members of the Druze community of Israel in the city of Daliyat al-Karmel in northern Israel on March 7, 2019. (JACK GUEZ / AFP)
- Gantz: We’re willing to sit in government with ‘anyone Jewish and Zionist’ Blue and White leader appears to rule out future coalition with Arab parties; calls on Netanyahu to resign, as pre-trial hearing scheduled to be held before July. Blue and White party leader Benny Gantz on Monday blasted Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over his increasingly incendiary campaign rhetoric, which has drawn accusations of racism and incitement. Gantz, Netanyahu’s main election rival, said the iconic Likud party founder and former prime minister Menachem Begin — whose death on March 9, 1992, was commemorated by Netanyahu’s Likud party Monday morning — would “have already kicked [Netanyahu] out of the party.” Cont’d:
- GANTZ WERE WILLING TO SIT IN GOVERNMENT WITH ANYONE JEWISH AND ZIONIST
- By Raoul Wootliff – 11 March 2019 – Image: Blue and White leader Benny Gantz at a town hall meeting in Beersheba, on March 11, 2019. (Saria Diamant/Blue and White)
Blue and White leader Benny Gantz on Monday said he was open to sitting in a coalition with “anyone Jewish and Zionist,” apparently ruling out non-Jewish minorities as potential partners.
- Speaking to a crowd of some 500 people in the southern city of Beersheba — and facing questions from the public for the first time — Gantz also called on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to resign over the mounting corruption allegations against him. Cont’d: https://www.timesofisrael.com/gantz-were-willing-to-sit-in-government-with-anyone-jewish-and-zionist/
- KUWAIT SAYS U.S. MIDEAST PEACE PLAN SHOULD WEIGH REGIONAL CONSIDERATIONS
- “We hope the plan will take into account the situation in the region and all the relevant parties,” Sheikh Sabah Khaled al-Sabah told a joint press conference with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
- By REUTERS – Jerusalem Post Arab-Israeli Conflict – March 20, 2019 – KUWAIT – Kuwait’s foreign minister said on Wednesday that a long-awaited US peace proposal for the Middle East should be acceptable to all stakeholders and factor in regional considerations. US President Donald Trump’s special adviser Jared Kushner visited several Gulf Arab states last month – but not Kuwait – to seek support from Arab leaders on the economic portion of the proposal that Trump is expected to unveil in the coming months.
- Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, has given a broad outline of the plan, saying it would address final-status issues of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, including establishing borders. “We hope the plan will take into account the situation in the region and all the relevant parties,” Sheikh Sabah Khaled al-Sabah told a joint news conference with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
- “We believe the strong relationship between the United States and several countries will lead to an acceptable resolution to all parties and to reaching a political solution that has been long waited for.” Cont’d:
- JEWISH GROUPS AROUND GLOBE EXPRESS SOLIDARITY WITH MUSLIMS AFTER CHRISTCHURCH ATTACK
Image: Grieving members of the public following a shooting at the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, March 15, 2019. Photo: Reuters / SNPA / Martin Hunter. Algemeiner Staff – Jewish groups around the globe reacted with horror on Friday to the news of the massacre of 49 Muslim worshipers in New Zealand by a white supremacist gunman.
Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations Chairman Arthur Stark and Executive Vice Chairman and CEO Malcolm Hoenlein said, “We are outraged by the horrific attacks in the mosques in New Zealand. We extend our condolences to those who have lost loved ones, and wish a speedy recovery to those who were wounded. Such outrages cannot be tolerated in any civil society. We hope that those who are responsible and those who aided and abetted them will be brought to justice. All people of good will must join in condemning this barbaric act.”
World Jewish Congress President Ronald Lauder said, “I would like to express my horror and revulsion at the terrorist attacks which have targeted people attending two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand today during Friday prayers. I extend my deepest condolences to the family and loved ones of the victims, and to the people of New Zealand. We must redouble efforts to combat hatred and division in our societies, from wherever it emanates.” Cont’d: https://www.algemeiner.com/2019/03/15/jewish-groups-around-globe-express-solidarity-with-muslims-after-christchurch-attack/
- WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF SECRETARY OF STATE MIKE POMPEO’S HISTORIC VISIT TO THE WESTERN WALL?
- TruNews – Mar 22, 2019 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSUVmcIBkrg
- TRUNEWS LIVE COVERAGE OF AIPAC 2019 – MORNING MARCH 25, 2019
- TruNews – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7IwP2H6Q18
- DONALD TRUMP FIRST MESSIAH OF ISRAEL – OMG SHOCKING ANALYSIS – EVANGELICALS WAKE UP!
PRAECURSATOR – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKB_dAs12D8
- PRESIDENT TRUMP AND PM BENJAMIN NETANYAHU MAKE REMARKS (GOLAN HEIGHTS) .
- TruNews – March 25, 2019 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ncJFB2DoY
ONE YEAR AFTER UK JEW SAID ‘ENOUGH IS ENOUGH,’ HAS ANYTHING CHANGED?
- Since the community took an unprecedented stance against anti-Semitism in Labour, ties with Corbyn’s party have only worsened. Now, will his adversaries’ weaknesses make him PM?
- By Robert Philpot – March 26, 2019 – Analysis: ‘I fear that Labour, in its current state, is irredeemable’
- Illustrative: Marie van der Zyl joins demonstrators at March’s ‘Enough is Enough’ protest at the UK Parliament. (Courtesy)
Britain’s main opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn is presented with flowers at the Finsbury Park Mosque in north London, during his visit on the annual Mosque open day, Sunday March 3, 2019. British police detained a man after Corbyn was hit by an egg during his visit to the Mosque Sunday, and the man charged with assault is due to appear in court Tuesday. (Victoria Jones/PA via AP)
UK Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn sits on stage as supporters wave Palestinian flags during the party’s annual conference in Liverpool, England, on September 25, 2018. (Stefan Rousseau/PA via AP) Van-mounted billboards in central London were the latest escalation in British Jews’ publicized row with Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn. (Courtesy of Jonathan Hoffman/via JTA)
- LONDON — On March 26, 2018, British Jews took part in an unprecedented demonstration in Parliament Square against an anti-Semitism crisis which has engulfed the Labour party. The resort to such action, says Joan Ryan, an MP who last month quit Labour over its handling of the issue, marked “one of the most shameful days in the history of the party.” Cont’d:
- UPDATE ON 3RD TEMPLE IN JERUSALEM
Shaking My Head Productions – Mar 26, 2019 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98fJNMSXC8U
- IN SYRIA, RUSSIA REVEALS ITS NEFARIOUS AIMS WITH IRAN
By Shoshana Bryen – MARCH 27, 2019 – Image: Smoke rises from a neighborhood in the village of Baghouz, Deir Al Zor province, Syria, March 18, 2019. Photo: REUTERS/Stringer.
- It is amazing how little Bashar Assad and the Syrian government have to do with the disposition of Syrian assets and territory, as the murderous rampage of the last eight years draws to a close. Syria’s “allies” — Russia, Iran, and Hezbollah — are taking what they want, cutting in Turkey as desired, and cutting out the United States and Israel. This bodes ill for future stability in the region and for US interests. After years of careful coordination with Israel — and acquiescence to Israel’s management of red lines in Syria — Russia is now working with Israel’s historic adversary, Iran. While it seemed that Russia’s goal in Syria was to solidify its bases at Tartus and Latakia, recent reports have Russia turning Latakia over to Iranian management, solidifying the western end of Iran’s Shiite Crescent. Cont’d: https://www.algemeiner.com/2019/03/27/in-syria-russia-reveals-its-nefarious-aims-and-alliance-with-iran/
- GOOD NEWS: AIPAC REMAINS BIPARTISAN
- MARCH 27, 2019 – By David Gerstman Image Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the 2018 AIPAC conference in Washington, D.C. Photo: Haim Zach/GPO.
One of the perks of my current career has been the opportunity and privilege to attend the annual AIPAC Policy Conference. In 2019, I attended my fourth consecutive gathering. There are always the thrills of seeing old friends and colleagues, or attending fascinating breakout sessions on important topics given by experts in their fields. Aside from those particular reasons, there’s also the significance of what AIPAC represents — the broad support that Israel enjoys across party, religious, and ethnic lines in the United States. And frankly, it’s a joy to witness this level of support firsthand. Meghan McCain, daughter of the late Senator John McCain (R-AZ), perhaps described this phenomenon best when she said: “Americans do not support Israel because AIPAC is influential; AIPAC is influential because Americans support Israel.” Cont’d:
- CIVIL NUCLEAR
US approves companies’ nuclear work in Saudi Arabia
by Staff Writers – Washington (AFP) March 28, 2019
The United States has given the green light to companies to work on six nuclear projects in Saudi Arabia, Energy Secretary Rick Perry said Thursday, despite lawmakers’ worries that the kingdom could seek weapons. Questioned during a Senate hearing, Perry confirmed that the Trump administration has approved six applications to do initial nuclear work in Saudi Arabia and two in Jordan. Perry, who said the Energy Department approved 37 of the 65 applications it received globally since 2017, promised the United States was committed to ensuring the Saudis do not reprocess spent fuel to make nuclear weapons. “What I’m really concerned about, senator, is that if the United States is not the partner with Saudi Arabia, (or) for that matter Jordan,” Perry said, “they will go to Russia and China for their civil nuclear technology.” “I can assure you that those two countries don’t give a tinker’s damn about nonproliferation,” he said. “We’ve got a history of nonproliferation, and nobody in the world will do it better than us.” The approvals, first reported Wednesday by news site The Daily Beast, were not earlier announced, with Perry saying the companies wanted to shield proprietary information. Cont’d:
- NETANYAHU’S LIKUD LAGS BEHIND GANTZ-LAPID ALLIANCE, NEW ELECTION POLL SHOWS
- Despite Kahol Lavan having 31 seats to Likud’s 27, the right-wing bloc would still win, with 64 seats overall
Haaretz – Mar 29, 2019 – Kahol Lavan, the political alliance led by former Israeli army chief Benny Gantz, would edge over Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud by four seats if the election were held today, a poll published Friday by the Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth showed.
- Despite Kahol Lavan leading with 31 seats to Likud’s 27, the right-wing bloc would still win with 64 seats overall. Orly Levi-Abekasis’ Gesher party would not make it past the electoral threshold, while Moshe Feiglin’s far-right Zehut would get five seats. Another poll by Channel 13 News on Thursday found Kahol Lavan and Likud tied at 30, with no less than seven seats for Zehut. Gesher once again did not earn enough seats to enter the Knesset, as did Yisrael Beiteinu, led by former Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman. Haaretz Weekly Report audio on this page … Cont’d:
- HAMAS PLANS TO USE CHILDREN AS HUMAN SHIELDS IN MASS BORDER RIOTS THIS WEEKEND, ISRAELI UN ENVOY WARNS
By Algemeiner Staff – MARCH 29, 2019 – Hamas plans to use children as human shields during mass border demonstrations planned for Saturday, Israel’s UN envoy warned on Friday. In a letter to the UN Security Council and Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, Israeli Ambassador Danny Danon wrote, “Hamas has cancelled school on 30 March so that children will be free to attend the riots. As always, Hamas will exploit these children as human shields and compensate the rioters and their families, should they suffer injuries.”
Danon continued, “There can be no doubt that in the upcoming riots, Hamas will seek to fulfill the words of Yahya Sinwar, its leader in Gaza: ‘We will take down the border and tear out their hearts from their bodies.’” “But we will not tolerate any action that threatens our people, our sovereignty and our borders, whether it comes from terrorists, violent rioters or so-called ‘peaceful protesters,’” Danon concluded. Meanwhile, seven Palestinians were reportedly wounded on the Gaza border on Friday. Cont’d:
- A PROPHETIC ALERT! PASSOVER 2019 WILL TRUMP CONFIRM THE COVENANT WITH MANY FOR ONE WEEK
- BY KIMBERLY – Elijah & Moses – Mar 30, 2019 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_1IfmoZgHA&t=17s
- POPE IN MOROCCO URGES JERUSALEM BE PROTECTED FOR ALL RELIGIONS
- Joint statement with king during visit to Rabat declares Israel’s capital the ‘common patrimony’ of Christians, Jews and Muslims
- Pope Francis and Moroccan King Mohammed VI called on Saturday for Jerusalem to be preserved as a symbol of peaceful coexistence where Jews, Muslims and Christians can be allowed to worship freely.
- Pope Francis joined the Moroccan monarch in declaring the city the “common patrimony” of Christians, Jews and Muslims, on the first day of a visit to the North African country.
- By Agencies – 30 March 2019 – The spiritual leader of the world’s 1.3 billion Catholics was invited by King Mohammed VI for the sake of “inter-religious dialogue,” according to Moroccan authorities. In a joint statement, the two leaders said Jerusalem was “common patrimony of humanity and especially the followers of the three monotheistic religions,” during the pontiff’s visit to Rabat.
“The specific multi-religious character, the spiritual dimension and the particular cultural identity of Jerusalem… must be protected and promoted,” they said in the declaration released by the Vatican. The statement contrasted sharply with a joint communique put out by Mohammed and Jordan’s King Abdullah on Thursday vowing to safegaurd Jerusalem against attempts to change its Islamic or Christian identity. The statement Thursday made no mention of any Jewish link to Jerusalem. Cont’d:
- UN CHIEF SAYS ‘NO PLAN B’ TO TWO-STATE SOLUTION
- Image: UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres speaks during a meeting in the Tunisian capital Tunis on March 30, 2019, to discuss the situation in Libya. (Fethi Belaid/AFP)
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres addresses the Arab League summit in Tunisia and calls for the establishment of a Palestinian state with a capital in East Jerusalem.
- “There is no Plan B. Without two states, there is no solution,” he says. Guterres also notes recent violence between Israel and Palestinian terror groups in the Gaza Strip, calling it “a tragic reminder of the fragility of the situation.” Turning to Syria, Guterres says any plan for resolving the Syrian civil war must respect the country’s territorial integrity, “including the occupied Golan.” US President Donald Trump last week recognized Israel’s sovereignty over the Golan Heights, which it captured from Syria in the 1967 Six Day War and later effectively annexed in a move rejected internationally. Cont’d: https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog-march-31-2019/
- THE ‘IKKAR BEN MATANYAHU’ SEAL FOUND IN THE CITY OF DAVID (ELIYAHU YANAI, CITY OF DAVID)
- Image: The ‘Natan-Melech/Eved Hamelech’ bulla found in the City of David. (Eliyahu Yanai, City of David)
- Givati Parking Lot Excavations in the City of David. (Yonit Schiller, City of David) – Givati Parking Lot Excavations in the City of David. (Kobi Harati)
- Tiny First Temple find could be first proof of aide to biblical King Josiah
- Rare seal impression from 8th century BCE, bearing the name Nathan-Melech, found in dig at large Iron Age administrative center in Jerusalem’s City of David
By Amanda Borschel-Dan – Mar 31, 2019 video showing excavations
Two minuscule 2,600-year-old inscriptions recently uncovered in the City of David’s Givati Parking Lot excavation are vastly enlarging the understanding of ancient Jerusalem in the late 8th century BCE.
- The two inscriptions, in paleo-Hebrew writing, were found separately in a large First Temple structure within the span of a few weeks by long-term team members Ayyala Rodan and Sveta Pnik. Two minuscule 2,600-year-old inscriptions recently uncovered in the City of David’s Givati Parking Lot excavation are vastly enlarging the understanding of ancient Jerusalem in the late 8th century BCE. The two inscriptions, in paleo-Hebrew writing, were found separately in a large First Temple structure within the span of a few weeks by long-term team members Ayyala Rodan and Sveta Pnik. First extra-biblical evidence of character from 2 Kings – Tiny First Temple find could be first proof of aide to biblical King Josiah. Cont’d:
- SAUDI KING ‘ABSOLUTELY REJECTS’ UNDERMINING OF SYRIAN SOVEREIGNTY OVER GOLAN
- Image: Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi (C) gestures as he stands between Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abdulaziz (L) and Jordan’s King Abdullah II (R) during the group family photo with other Arab leaders at the 30th Arab League summit in the Tunisian capital Tunis on March 31, 2019. (Zoubeir Souissi/Pool/AFP)
- Saudi Arabia’s King Salman says his kingdom “absolutely rejects” any move that negates Syrian sovereignty over the Golan Heights, following US President Donald Trump’s recognition of the area as Israeli.
- The Saudi monarch is speaking in Tunisia’s capital of Tunis, where Arab leaders are meeting for the Arab League summit. Trump last week officially recognized Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights, which Israel captured in the 1967 Six Day War and later effectively annexed. Trump’s decision has been condemned by Syria and its allies Russia and Iran, as well as European and Arab countries that enjoy close ties with the US, which view the Golan Heights as occupied Syrian territory.
- In his remarks, Salman also repeats Riyadh’s call for the establishment of a Palestinian state in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, with its capital in East Jerusalem, according to Reuters. Cont’d: https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog-march-31-2019
- AFTER GOLAN MOVE, ABBAS SAYS U.S. WILL LET ISRAEL ANNEX PARTS OF WEST BANK
- Image:Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas (R) and and Palestine Liberation Organization Secretary-General Saeb Erekat (L) attend the opening session of the 30th Arab League summit in the Tunisian capital Tunis on March 31, 2019. (Fethi Belaid/Pool/AFP)
- Following US President Donald Trump’s recognition of the Golan Heights as Israeli territory, Palestinian Authority Mahmoud Abbas says the White House will next allow Israel to annex parts of the West Bank.
- “What is coming from the United States is more dangerous. It will tell Israel, ‘annex part of the Palestinian land and give what remains of it self-rule and grant the Gaza Strip a nominal state for Hamas to play with,’” Abbas says at the Arab League summit in Tunisia. — Adam Rasgon – Cont’d:
- BAHRAIN MPs CONDEMN PLANNED APPEARANCE OF ISRAELI SPEAKERS AT UPCOMING CONFERENCE
- DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Several Israeli speakers are to appear at a business conference in Bahrain next month, a move condemned by MPs in the tiny Gulf state. At least three Israeli speakers, including the Israel Innovation Authority’s deputy chief Anya Eldan, are scheduled to speak at the Global Entrepreneurship Congress in Manama, according to the forum’s website.
- Members of parliament say Sunday they were against hosting Israeli speakers in Bahrain, which — like most Arab states — does not recognize the Jewish state. “Parliament stresses its support for the just cause of the brotherly Palestinian people, and it will remain a priority for the Bahraini and Arab people,” it says in a statement published on its official Facebook page. “The end of the Israeli occupation and the withdrawal from all Arab land is an absolute necessity for the stability and security of the region and for a fair and comprehensive peace.” Cont’d: https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog-march-31-2019/
- GANTZ VOWS TO PASS LAW LIMITING PRIME MINISTERS TO 2 TERMS
- Blue and White party leader Benny Gantz says he’ll pass legislation limiting prime ministers to two terms in office, if he becomes premier following elections on April 9. Gantz is speaking at a press conference alongside Blue and White No. 2 Yair Lapid to lay out the party’s plans for the final days of the campaign. Cont’d: https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog-march-31-2019/
- GANTZ SLAMS NETANYAHU OVER CAMPAIGN, WARNS IT COULD END IN ‘CIVIL WAR’
- With elections just 9 days away, Blue and White leader lays into PM for spreading ‘muck’ rather than ‘building civil unity’
By TOI staff
Mar 31, 2019 Image: Benny Gantz during a Blue and White party event in Ashdod on March 30, 2019. (Flash90)
- Gantz said to ask Shin Bet to probe whether Mossad behind leak of phone hack Blue and White party leader Benny Gantz has asked the Shin Bet security agency to probe whether the Mossad leaked to the media that his cellphone was hacked by Iran, Channel 12 reports. Both the Shin Bet and Blue and White refuse to comment on the report, with the latter saying it is a security matter. The Mossad, Israel’s foreign intelligence agency, is currently headed by Yossi Cohen, who was chosen for the post by Prime Minister Netanyahu after serving as his national security adviser. Members of Gantz’s Blue and White party have suggested Netanyahu was behind the leak, which the premier has denied. Cont’d:
ISRAEL REOPENS GAZA BORDER CROSSINGS DESPITE OVERNIGHT ROCKET FIRE
- Jerusalem moves ahead with Egyptian-brokered deal after Hamas tamps down violence at Saturday’s mass-rallies at border
- By TOI staff – March 31, 2019
- Image: Israeli trucks carrying diesel fuel enter the Kerem Shalom crossing on the Israel-Gaza border, October 11, 2018. (AP Photo/Tsafrir Abayov)
The two crossings between the Gaza Strip and Israel reopened Sunday morning despite rocket fire from the Palestinian territory overnight. The Erez pedestrian crossing and the Kerem Shalom commercial terminal were both shuttered last Monday after a rocket fired from Gaza toward the central Israeli village of Mishmeret destroyed a home and left seven people wounded. A fishing ban that has been in place since then was also lifted on Sunday morning. Israel committed to reopening the crossing after Hamas reined in a massive border protest on Saturday, under an informal ceasefire deal brokered by Egyptian mediators after a violent week in the coastal enclave. The new commitment to calm was challenged early Sunday, when five rockets were fired from Gaza at Israel, officials said, triggering sirens in the Eshkol region starting at about 12:40 a.m. There were no reports of injuries or damage from the rocket fire, the Eshkol Regional Council said in a statement.
- WHITE HOUSE WORKING TO REASSURE EVANGELICALS ON MIDDLE EAST PEACE PLAN
- Barak Ravid of Israel’s Channel 13 newsMar 9 – Ahead of the launch of President Trump’s Israeli-Palestinian peace plan, the White House has been engaging with Evangelical leaders to reassure them about the plan. Why it matters: Evangelicals are a crucial part of Trump’s political base and senior officials in his administration, like Vice President Pence and Secretary of State Pompeo, are Evangelicals. Most U.S. Evangelicals are strong supporters of Israel, and many Evangelical leaders are stanch allies of Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu.
- On Thursday a group of Evangelical leaders arrived at the White House for a briefing with Trump’s Middle East envoy Jason Greenblatt. •Among those present were Pastor John Hagee, Pastor Jentezen Franklin, Pastor Paula White and others. Although the meeting was off-the-record many of the attendees tweeted about it. •A source who attended the meeting said that several of the Evangelical leaders raised concerns about the peace plan, especially about the possibility it will give the Palestinians a capital in parts of East Jerusalem.
•”They didn’t give many details about the plan but they wanted to hear concerns and red lines and answer questions the Evangelical leaders had,” the source said. •The source added that Greenblatt told the group the peace plan will be fair and can benefit both sides — but both will have to make compromises. The White House declined to comment on this account.
- HASHEMITE RED LINE: KING ABDULLAH ISSUES DIRE WARNING OVER JERUSALEM’S HOLY SITES
- TRUMP’S KABBALAH ‘TREE OF LIFE’ AWARD
Know More News – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrJW5A7ruLM